The village of Milies is located in the central section of mountain Pilio and is approximately 28 km from the city of Volos. This area of Pilio is full of lush vegetation and its altitude spans from 250 meters (railway station area) to approximately 450 meters at the highest point.
Milies is one of Pilio's main villages with a population of approximately 1000 permanent residents and a great mythological and historical past. The main square at the center of the village is surrounded by thriving maple trees and it is where cultural events take place. Multiple cobble-covered pathways (kaldirimia) originate from the main square and reach through the edges of the village. Visitors strolling through the village will enjoy beautiful old traditional mansions, picturesque churches and fountains with refreshing natural mountain springs while taking in the fragrance of the wildflowers.
The traditional architecture, unfortunately, is not as apparent due to two events of the past. First in 1943, during World War II, the village was completely burned down by the German army. A few years later, during the major earthquake of 1955, many of the remaining mansions collapsed, erasing much of the past. A few of the mansions that survived are from the Faradou, Ioanidi, and Evagelinaki families.
Located at the lowest part of the village is the old renovated railway station of Milies, which, for the last 100 years, has been welcoming the legendary "Mouztouri". The historical train of Pilio blew its whistle for the first time in 1903 and connected the industrial-commercial center of Volos with the wealthy area of western Pilio. This train route was a commercially important transportation link to the area until 1971 when it was discontinued. In 1995, the train was put in operation once again for tourists, giving passengers of all ages a tour of the majestic slopes of the mountain.
The village of Milies is also the birthplace of the three Teachers of the Nation - Anthimos Gazis, Grigorios Konstantas and Daniel Filipidis. The School of Milies was founded here, which operated until 1821 and was well-known for the high quality of education it offered. Many of the manuscripts of that era have survived and are currently being displayed at the Milies Public Library.