The precise chronology of manufacture is unknown, as unknown is the designer / constructor, as well as the icon painter who manufactured the hagiographies and elaborated the holy temple. However, a sign above the side gate informs us that it was renovated in 1741.
Its architectural rhythm is triple basilica with 12 internal cupolas, and has a double substance, while it is dedicated to Taxiarches Mikhail and Gabriel, as well as to All Saints. It is constituted by 2 parts - the pronaos and the main church: both spaces are characterized by their impressive hagiographies, while the main part is dominated by the astonishing hand-carved temple, by an unknown craftsman, full of religious representations.
Externally, the building of the church does not look like one - obviously because it was manufactured / renovated in the years of Ottoman occupation, the unknown designer wanted the exterior aspect of the building not to betray the existence of a church. For this reason, he did not manufacture windows - only the very few placed high up, almost near the roof, so that there would be no view of the interior - at the same time, externally, the roof also it does not indicate that the building is a church: the 12 cupolas do not show, and the roof appears as a simple one covering a rectangular building. But, this very special design had some technical problems. The problem of the very heavy roof got solved by the constructor by placing in, 48 upside jars, decreasing this way the weight of the roof and also creating the acoustics of the church.
Milies Library = PSICHIS AKOS
PSICHIS AKOS = Cure of the soul
The Library is historically connected with the School of Millies, which was established in 1812 by three scholars of the Nation, Anthimos Gazis, Grigorios Konstantas and Daniel Fillipides (their graves are next to Saint Nicolas church. Today, there are 3355 books old print, 116 manuscripts and 1000 loose documents and objects which belong to School of Millies.
The train station
The construction of the railway between Volos – Milies started in 1881 an finished in 1903. This small train, in our days known as “Moutzouris” was connecting Volos’ commercial center with the East part of Pelion, transferring for many years all the goods of the mountain. Until its last working day in 1971, the small train was very important for the whole area, by carrying out everyday its route, even during the war period.
In 1996, after rebuilding the infrastructure, the train starts working again, only for touristic reason. It’s rail width is 60cm and is the most narrow railway line in Greece. The starting point of the route is Ano Lehonia, its length is 15km and its duration is 90min. The highest speed is 20km/h. It is going through greenfull slopes, with amazing view to the Pagasitikos Gulf, and over stone-built bridges. Just before the end, the small train crosses over a metallic bridge, constructed by the Italian engineer, Evaristo de Cirico, Son of the painter Giorgio de Cirico.
Centaur Chiron’s cave
Local legends refer that the location of the cave is under the rock, where Taxiarchis chapel is. The area can be approached from a path after de Cirico
Pilio’s Traditional Houses
Pilio’s old fountains
Karavousianis fountain, Manolakis fountain and Baptism fountain are the most important.
Most of them are all over the village. Some of them are Saint Charalambos, Saint Athanasios an Athos, Taxiarchi Michail, Holy Trinity and Saint Nicolaos.